Clothed with Grace: Be Original. Be Yourself.

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Be Original. Be Yourself.


I had such an amazing time at Go Blog Social and I want to take some time to share my takeaway with you all.  A lot of this will obviously apply more to bloggers, but I hope to tie it back to you non-bloggers as well, and share with you how I'll apply it to my blog too.

 I feel like I heard time and time again at the conference the importance of being who you are and not a copy cat of someone else who is successful. I definitely think this applies to blogging and life in general. Meg Biram Jeanette of J's Everyday Fashion and Corrie McFadden  all discussed the importance of finding what makes you unique and focusing your blog on that. What's your passion? What gets you excited? The answer to that is what you should blog about. "There's a reader for everyone, be the voice for them."-Corri McFadden

As for me, I definitely think fashion and finding great deals gets me excited.  I feel like that's definitely been a focus here, so for me to go start spending hundreds on outfits (not that I would, or could) wouldn't make sense, because I feel a lot of you readers like a good deal just like I do.  I want to stay true to myself and my budget. Jeanette touched on this too. She's had a $250 a month clothing budget for forever,but even with her phenomenal success, she's stuck to that budget because that's the focus of her blog. She's living what her blog is. I love that.

That being said last year I thrifted A LOT because I was really trying to build up my wardrobe. I don't need clothes like I did before (don't tell my husband). What I do need are some closet staples like blazers and pencil skirts. Pieces like this can be very hard to thrift (trust me, I've tried). I definitely plan to shop the sale racks, but thrifting isn't something I've done all summer and something I don't see myself doing much this fall.

I'm also passionate about teaching and plan to do more how-to posts here as well. You've seen some of that from me this summer and I have a new tips series coming next and an exciting collaboration starting at the end of the month with my fabulous sister.

Tomorrow I'll share with you another takeaway from Go Blog Social, and today's outfit is what I wore to the fun cocktail hour last Thursday night.

Have you entered my Swag Bag giveaway yet?







Blazer: Kohls $20? similar
Blouse: Target $7 (can't find on line, instores now)
Shorts: Kohl's $20 similar
Belt: Kohl's $6 similar
Necklace: Stella and Dot Rebel
Bracelets: Stella and Dot Renegade Triple Wrap and Chimera similar
Shoes: Kohl's $26 c/o Chippmunk  same
Bag: Coach same

Linking up with:


35 comments:

  1. I really want to try to thrift more- now that I've moved to a bigger area there should be many more options!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really enjoyed ur article ginny...that's really great advice because sometimes it can really be hard getting caught up in all the stuff that other people are wearing etc...but i love ur budget friendly style :) great outfit and keep up the great work!

    XO Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that you had a good time at the conference! I hope that next time you are in KC we can meet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with staying true to you! I get inspiration from many places...various blogs, stores, etc. I like a lot of different styles, and enjoy making them my own. I thrift, shop outlets, shop department stores, online, everywhere, really. I buy what I like and what will last in my life, but I also try to buy at a good price. I love bargain shopping and I love thrifting!

    Amy
    Mariposa Medley Jewelry
    www.mariposamedley.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this outfit! Your shirt looks great with the blazer. I have a yellow belt and love ideas on how to wear it-I never thought of turquoise! I really like the colors together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely think staying true to yourself is important. Your readers can see between the b.s. on your blog if you are not. I am looking forward to hearing more about the conference. Oh and that outfit is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like an awesome conference! I love the pattern of your shirt, that color is great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wanted that blouse SO bad but it was sold out in my size. Bummer. The yellow belt is so perfect with this outfit. Thanks for sharing the conference take aways with us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is great advice to be yourself when it comes to blogging (and life in general!)

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this outfit! The turquoise with the pop of cobalt is lovely :)

    xo Lulu
    simplylulustyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I definitely agree about being originally and not just copying someone else! This happens far too often, and makes the blogger doing it not only look ridiculous, but insincere! You look awesome in this outfit, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So true! It can be so easy to get caught up in buying or wearing something for the blog - but the whole point of the blog is to show what I would normally buy or wear. Sometimes I have to remind myself to step away from the crazy printed cropped dress pants (even if they are trendy), because I don't actually like pants!

    ReplyDelete
  13. you look amazing, love those colors on you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this outfit. So well put together. I love yellow and turquoise together!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Definitely some great advice! Oh and I just love the colour of your blazer.
    Beautiful outfit.

    Pia
    pjmscloset.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing from the conference! Love your new Coach bag!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the white and mint combo. You look great as always!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your outfit here! And I think you are spot on with your post - be yourself. And I think that sometimes that's the hardest thing to remember as a blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  19. this color combo is fabulous. I think anything with lots of white is always pefect.

    ReplyDelete
  20. these are all great tips! it's sometimes hard to not compare yourself to other bloggers, but we are all unique and should try to stick to our own voice. and i loooove your outfit. the green on green in your blazer/top is so cute!
    -- jackie @ jade and oak

    ReplyDelete
  21. First of all, love your outfit. Second of all I couldn't agree more. I"ve heard it so many times from so many different bloggers about just being yourself and blogging about what you like. Glad you had such a great time.

    Agi:)

    vodkainfusedlemonade.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing your takeaways with us. Excited to see how your blog evolves into even more of a reflection of you! Also, your outfit... so cute. I love that shirt with the blazer.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can't tell you how FAB you look. This is the cutest outfit of yours hands down. And your legs are looking fantastic!! Great advice too from the conference!

    Amy

    Fashion and Beauty Finds

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great sum up, Gin! I've yet to write mine. Not even sure where to start!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful blazer...it's perfect with the top! And your words are so accurate...it's important to be true to yourself and not try to be something you aren't.
    Debbie :)
    www.fashionfairydust.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the patterned top, Ginny! I thought of you this weekend because I finally found a decent local thrift shop. :) Yay for bargains.

    Lauren
    Style of One's Own

    ReplyDelete
  27. I agree that it's so important for all us bloggers to be ourselves on our blogs. What a wonderful thing to take away from the conference!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks so much for sharing your insights. As a new blogger I am still trying to cultivate my focus and this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love your look today
    So chic and fresh, the color is my favorite shade of blue
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a cute outfit! I've never tried pairing a blazer with shorts, but it sure does look cute on you!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ginny I love these pictures! They turned out so pretty! The evergreen blazer with the printed top and white shorts looks so chic and classy! Also, regarding what you took away from the Go Blog Social...such important lessons! It's so easy to blend in with the the millions of fashion bloggers out there, so that is such a great point they made to be original and yourself! Can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Go blog social sounds great! Def important to be yourself - that is why your original readers subscribed in the first place, right?

    I love the blouse!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. I really like the whole idea of "be yourself." It's hard in a blogging universe that is so saturated like it is now...especially since I'm not blogging to make money or make it big. It's purely to have fun with fashion and to connect with other women...I know that the content on my blog is 100% authentic me, but I'm constantly being inspired by other bloggers and other women in fashion, stylistically speaking. There are some great tips and insights you mentioned, though!

    I really, really love your outfit today, Ginny! That turquoise color looks amazing on you.

    brynnash.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great outfit, awesome colors! I am a huge fan of the shorts and wedge for daytime look. And totally with you on the thrifting (you've seen my most recent posts...thanks for popping by, by the way!) and now that we're in escrow on our first home, cutting out frivolous shopping trips is going to be a key change in the way I live. Yikes. Keep me inspired!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. i LOVE that blazer! you always manage to make such cute and stylish outfits with shorts - i love it!!

    ReplyDelete