Clothed with Grace: Yes, Please

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Yes, Please



Today I have another book review to share with you all. I recently read Yes, Please my Amy Poehler.  It's our book club book for May and I was initially excited to read something "lighter" and different than the usual books I read.

I'm not a huge fan of Amy Poehler, however I was excited to read about her life, as well as stories about her time on Saturday Night Live.

When reading this book I think you need to keep in mind that Amy is first an actress, then an author.  She writes as though she is talking to us, which I really liked, but I felt like a lot of parts were disjointed. The titles to the sections are thinks like "Say What You Want," which to me inferred advise on how to do this, then the section wouldn't seem to clearly have anything to do with that topic.

I really enjoyed hearing stories about how she began her career, her friendship with Tina Fey, and her times on Saturday Night Live. I'm not a huge fan of the show, but I loved hearing the behind the scene stories. She has met a lot of really cool people and that was fun to read about.

I appreciated how she was able to talk about her ex-husband in a really respectful way. Obviously I have no experience, but it's nice to hear that they are still able to co-parent and the mutual respect they have for each other. She also spoke very highly of her parents and life growing up, that was pretty cool to hear too.

There were really sweet moments in the book too. Amy shared a story about a time she apologized for a big and unintentional mistake. It took a lot of courage to first off apologize, and then secondly share it with us a readers. I tip my hat to her there!

She's had a pretty wild life and has also done her share of drugs- unapologetically, I might add. I appreciate her honestly, I'm just a bit more traditional and like to her the "don't do drugs." We get older, we get wiser, we grow up. There's also a decent about of "language" in the book, so keep that in mind if that's something that offends you.

Overall, I enjoyed that book, but I didn't love it. My book club girls on the other hand really liked it. So, if you're looking for something light to read, add this to your list.

6 comments:

  1. I finished this about two weeks ago! I felt the same way, it was really interesting to read more about her life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about this book but didn't hear anyone's thoughts about it. Thanks

    -Melanie-
    http://www.theseblankwalls.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a good light read for summer. I might have to keep it in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Tina's book, and I agree it was also disjointed, but had some fun, light stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a "traditionalist," too, Ginny! I even think King Solomon would have said, "There's a time to grow up!" if he'd really thought about it long enough! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have to check this out. I've always been curious about her life. Thanks for sharing!

    Her Heartland Soul
    http://herheartlandsoul.com

    ReplyDelete