Clothed with Grace: Quick to Listen, Slow to Speak

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Quick to Listen, Slow to Speak

Just when I think I can't get any bigger, I do. I don't ever feel that huge until I see a picture. I'm at the point where I know I look like I should deliver tomorrow, but I still have a month to go. If you've ever been pregnant, you know that strangers think it's always a good idea to comment and ask questions.  

Just this last week I had an inservice at work with about 200 of my co-workers.  We were being trained on a new way of being evaluated. The trainer asked everyone who was wearing black to stand up and potentially be called on to answer a question about what we'd been learning. Soon after I stood she turned to me and in front of a room of 200 asked when I was due, then commented on how bad it stunk that I was having a "Christmas" baby, as it would be so "unfair" to my child. Yes, she did. I kept my mouth shut, but was very surprised that she felt it was appropriate and necessary to call me out, not to answer an academic question, but simply because I was pregnant.

Later on, I thought back on it, and had numerous co-workers come up to me afterwards with surprise about what that lady had said, and how I'd taken it well. In my head I was thinking, like we planned to have a "Christmas" baby? Do you know how many people would do nearly anything to just have a baby in the first place? What if we'd battled infertility?  This lady had no idea, and although there was no ill will on her part, she really didn't think before she spoke.

This really had me reflecting on what I have to say too. Our words have power, and once we put something out there, we really can't take it back. If we're lucky we can realize our mistake, apologize, and be forgiven...but not always. James 1:19 says, "Know this my dear brothers, let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger."  I'd love to say that this verse can always be true about me, but who am I kidding. I make mistakes just like anyone.

I hold no negative feelings towards the lady at the inservice, but I sure want to do a better job of keeping James 1:19 as a focus, so I don't do the same to someone else. Our words have power, let's use them to build others up, and leave it at that.


I recently got this cardigan from Shein. I know it's way more spring/summer appropriate, but I love the embroidered trend and couldn't help myself.  The quality is phenomenal and I definitely think it looks like it cost way more than it's price tag say.  Wearing it with a simple top, skinny jeans, and my booties worked really well to transition it to fall, but I know I'll wear it like crazy once spring roles around again.



Cardigan: Shein c/o same
Top: Target
Jeans: Old Navy same
Necklace: Kendra Scott c/o Rocksbox similar
Boots: Wanted similar

Linking up with:

6 comments:

  1. I actually do have a Christmas baby. And I have had a few people comment to me about it. I've even heard of people saying it is selfish on the part of parents to 'try' certain months because they could end up having a Christmas baby. Each baby is such a miracle and I can't imagine what would have happened if we didn't do things the way we did. It's God's way and I think it makes her birthday so much more special because she gets to see all of her family on her birthday and they will never forget when it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't all babies a miracle no matter when they come?! You look awesome! I hope you feel awesome! Great attitude to keep our ears open and our mouths shut!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful cardigan! I love the colours and pattern.

    https://forsevenseasons.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had to deal with that "Christmas baby" question quite a bit too--both because I'm due the same day you are and because I myself was born on Christmas Eve. I can say from experience that being born around Christmas has been one of the best gifts I've ever been given. I get to spend every birthday surrounded by my whole family; not many people get to say that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugggh the little that I nanny for is a christmas baby and I love it. It really has made me that much more aware to how special both days are an dhow they should be treated differently! you look stunning girl :)
    xo, Jessica || The Petite Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  6. It takes a lot to be the bigger person and not do the same to someone who's done the same to you and I think you did just that. Being kind is one of the ways that someone can see the love of Christ in you. All that matters is what God thinks of you, not what other people do. :) Love your post and your outfit, of course!
    Unique Geek

    ReplyDelete