Clothed with Grace: Hannah's Birth Story

Thursday, December 24, 2015

Hannah's Birth Story

As those of you who follow me on Social Media know, our lives changed dramatically Monday, Dec. 21st.  Our daughter, Hannah Elizabeth was born.  As this, Hannah's first pictures shows, Grant is very excited! This picture was taken at about 8:30 at night, shortly after Hannah was born.  Today I thought I'd share a little bit about her birth story and what our first few days were like.



Brian and I headed to the hospital Monday morning to induce me, as it didn't seem like Hannah was going to come anytime soon on her own.  Let it be noted, about a million other women were also being induced, as no one really wanted to be in the hospital on Christmas- this will come into play a bit later in the day.

I got my dose of Petocin and began to walk around.  I told myself I'd handle my contractions better this time, and I did, really.  When I was about three centimeters we decided to get my epidural. That's when I got it last time, and I progressed to 10 very quickly-I was thinking the same thing would be true this time.  Well, I wasn't really progressing very quickly at all to my nurse and doctor's surprise.  Finally at about 6:00 P.M. I was at 5-yes 5 and my epidural was beginning to wear off.  I'd been told it wouldn't and that their was a button the nurse to push to continually up my dosage.  Unfortunately that wasn't really helping and if I didn't like the way contractions felt at 3 centimeters I reallllyyyy didn't like how they felt once I hit 7. Up to this point the day had been really easy.

Soon it was almost 7:00 and shift change.  My nurse put in an order the the anesthesiologist to come back to give me something else, but remember how I said everyone and their dog was getting induced?  Well, one person can only work so quickly.  I continually was having stronger contractions and progressing very quickly.  In the midst of trying to get my anesthesiologist in and the shift change, they forgot to call my O.B. back in.  Soon I was at 10 and ready to push. The anesthesiologist took care of his part- now it was time to wait for my O.B. to get across town.

Hannah's heartbeat had been great all day, but the stress of my very consistent contractions has putting a lot of stress on her and her heart rate was dropping very quickly.  The new nurse called for back up and the head nurse did not have a good poker face and was obviously very concerned.  She got me on all fours fast with my butt up to stop contractions and gave me an oxygen mask and told me to breathe, so Hannah could breathe.  I don't remember ever feeling so scared. Brian was obviously right there supporting me, but I couldn't even formulate a prayer for help, but remembered there is power even in saying Jesus' name, so that's what I did until it was clear her heart was stabilizing.

At this point my O.B. showed up and I've never seen her move so quickly! I pushed three times on my side, she got out the forceps, and with the third try Hannah showed up screaming bloody murder, which was the biggest relief of my life. She was perfect, and I just cried and cried.

Grant and my mom came in a few minutes later, and our lives had all been changed! They stayed for just a while and we headed up to our room shortly afterwards and I couldn't quit staring at her.


I told Brian he didn't need to stay on the "cozy" couch and he headed home.  This next picture is from the next morning. Brian, Grant and my mom came up pretty early and we were all in good spirits.  Hannah figured out nursing pretty quickly and I have to admit this robe, a baby gift from Pink Blush Maternity was my favorite take along to the hospital. I pretty much wore it the entire time and all looking forward to using it all the time at home too.


We also got our first pictures as a family of four and it makes me so happy to see our family complete!


Brian is pretty protective of his little "princess" too.  One mistake I mdke with Grant was really doing everything and not letting Brian in on much. This time I assured him I'd love any help he offered.  Right now he is an excellent baby holder and dinner cooker. ; )


One the first day after Hannah was born Grant and Grandma came up to visit in the morning, afternoon and evening.  He was so excited and I was so thankful for my my to be able to stay at our house with Grant too. Grandpa also came to visit, but Hannah was not in the best spirits, so no good picture. She hates to be changed, and you'd literally think she was going to die as I change her diaper.  Grant didn't care at all, so this was new to me.


Grant also got Hannah and I flowers, they are beautiful!


Like I said, I told Brian he was welcome to sleep at home, but after everyone left we watched a movie together, which was a nice treat. They also send a celebratory dinner, which was delicious!

The next morning we were both antsy to get home. Hannah and I were both checked out one more time, and then we were ready to head home.  My milk came in and it seemed like Hannah was figuring out sleeping too.  We'll see how that goes once we get home,  It'll be a kind of crazy few days with Christmas, so we probably won't be able to find a sense of normalcy until early next week. 


We are so excited to have her as part of our lives and can't wait to see what life has in store for us!


17 comments:

  1. Hannah is just adorable!! I love her squishy little cheeks- she's a doll! What a sweet Christmas gift to recieve :) wishing y'all a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this makes my heart so happy!! It never crossed my mind that there would be lots of inductions right before Christmas, but I guess it makes sense. She sure is a beauty. Merry Christmas to your family of four!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading this and a tear runs down my face girl. So so happy for you! She is beautiful! Now, if only Grace would show her face now too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the arrival of your beautiful baby girl! I'm wishing your family the very best. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's beautiful! A lovely family you've been blessed with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats! She is beautiful. :)
    Jaymie
    www.jaymieashcraft.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! She is just precious!

    Becky
    bybmg

    ReplyDelete
  8. Arohanui to you and your lovely family, from Fiona (New Zealand)

    ReplyDelete
  9. She is adorable and well that story is amazing :) Every birth is so special and I of course was sad I didn't comment on this one so quickly! Was a little unplugged with the holiday :)
    xo, Jessica || The Petite Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! She is beautiful, and I'm happy to hear everything turned out okay during the delivery!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww I adore this post! Congratulations to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love to read birth stories and yours was no exception. My daughter has 2 boys and is due with a baby girl in March. I am going to order the robe you were wearing in the hospital for her, and also was wondering if you could tell me where you purchased the fuchsia blanker and sleeper that Hannah is wearing. My daughter is so ready for pink!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love to read birth stories and yours was no exception. My daughter has 2 boys and is due with a baby girl in March. I am going to order the robe you were wearing in the hospital for her, and also was wondering if you could tell me where you purchased the fuchsia blanker and sleeper that Hannah is wearing. My daughter is so ready for pink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blanket was a gift with another one that was pink and white chevron. I think package just said swaddle blanket. You could probably find them at target or walmart.

      Delete
    2. Ok. I'll have to look for it next time I'm there. I just loved the color.

      Delete
    3. Ok. I'll have to look for it next time I'm there. I just loved the color.

      Delete