Clothed with Grace: Spring Essential Tops and Bottoms

Monday, April 3, 2017

Spring Essential Tops and Bottoms

A few years back I did a series about essential wardrobe staples, and  thought it would be fun to do an updated version.  These are just suggestions of course, but pieces that can be both dressed up and down and mixed and matched. If you're looking to re-boot or freshen up your wardrobe, these are the types of pieces I recommend.

Essential Tops and Bottoms

Essential Tops: 

Florals: I love this one. The colors are bright and perfect for spring. I also love the shape as it can be easily dressed up and tucked into a skirt for work or untucked with white or denim jeans for a casual too.

Stripes: Honestly, I'm crazy about anything stripes, but I especially love this one. The sleeves are one of my favorite trends right now and this could be dressed up with black ankle pants for work, or down with jeans too.

Solids with Interesting Details: I love this one from Gap. It also comes in gray and white, which are great. I love a good basic colored top, I also like a fun detail to make it seem special though.

Essential Bottoms:

A well-fitting denim: I love a good skinny ankle jean or boyfriend jean and prefer a dark wash. I really like these ones. They are from J.Crew factory and actually come in three different inseams based on if you want an ankle or to cuff them.

Black Ankle Pants: These are definitely the most worn bottom in my closet and I have three pair I really like.  These are one's I've heard a lot of good things about. My favorite are these from Loft.

White Jeans: I wear these like crazy for work and weekend. I like these and just like the jeans mentioned above, they come in three different inseams.

Essential Skirts and Shorts


As far as skirt and shorts go, I know they aren't everyone's jam. That being said, I love to have a few essentials within my closet. I also like prints, but if you're looking to get your bang for your buck, picking a few colors you love that with match tops in your closet is the way to go. I specifically chose these because a couple of neutrals like white and navy will go with almost anything, but a fun pop of color brightens up your wardrobe too.

Skirts: I love a good pencil skirt with a blouse for work and this one comes in a number of neutral and bold colors. I also love these linen ones which are more casual. I have a number of them and they wash and wear really well. Unlike typical linen, these don't seem to wrinkle like crazy and they are easy to iron too.

Shorts: In the summer I wear shorts daily, since I'm home with the kids. I prefer a 5" or 7" inseam and these ones are great! They also come in an inseam varying from 3" to Bermuda, so they can work with whatever your short's preference is. I keep my outfits pretty basic in the summer, so I like to have colored shorts to add interest, but having some neutrals is great too.

Stay tuned, I'll be showing essential dresses and layers next!

1 comment: